HLST - High Level Support Team
The High Level Support Team (HLST) provides support to scientists from all members of the EUROfusion consortium for the development and optimization of codes to be used on the dedicated IFERC-CSC supercomputer located in Rokkasho, Japan. The supercomputer delivers computing power of about 1.52 petaflop/s and is optimally suited for the fusion scientists' simulation programs. The HLST consists of a core team based at the IPP Garching (Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik) and of other high level support staff provided by the Associates. The HLST members are all HPC experts with a background in developing large scientific applications and particular expertise in numerical algorithms.
The HLST provides support for the following tasks:
- Parallelise codes using e.g. OpenMP and/or MPI standards for massively parallel computers;
- Improve the performance of existing parallel codes both at the single node and inter node levels;
- Support the transfer of codes to new multiprocessors architectures;
- Choose and if necessary adapt algorithms and/or mathematical library routines to improve applications for the targeted computer architectures;
- Give feedback to the community based on experience gained from specific project work;
- Provide guidance for young scientists on available training activities in HPC and towards upcoming new computer architectures;
- Provide consultancy to scientists within the Research Units working on HPC;
- Exploit developments made by the WPCD, especially in the field of standards, graphical user interfaces, common data bases and parallel visualization, for the benefit of the IFERC-CSC users.